Visitors from around the world are drawn to Tofino & Clayoquot Sound all year long and it’s no wonder, with so many things to do and places to see.
We absolutely love Tofino and have spent and will continue to spend many family vacations hiking in the old growth forests, playing in the waves or looking for shells in the beach, whale and bear watching, kayaking, spas, resorts, restaurants and so much more!
While many think that Canada is a frozen tundra for most of the year, we are basking in the beach town of Tofino on Vancouver Island. National Geographic agrees as Tofino was voted as one of the top surf towns in the world. You won’t want to miss visiting Tofino on your trip to Vancouver Island, no matter what season we are in.
It feels like another world as you escape to the far West Coast of Canada. It’s truly a unique island location that is part surf town, and part tourist mecca. There are so many things to do, experience and see in Tofino… the list is never ending.
Tofino has something for everyone!
Looking for a place to stay while on vacation in Tofino? This picture of the Traveling Islander kids was taken at Mackenzie Beach right in front of the Best Western Tin Wis Resort. Read all about our amazing vacation at Tin Wis in Tofino!
Things to do in Tofino & Surrounding Area
1. One of the best locations for cold water surfing in the whole world is found right on Vancouver Island in Tofino. There are plenty of surf shops with friendly instructions just waiting to give you a surf lesson or rent surfing equipment. If surfing isn’t your thing, then play in the waves, grab a boogie board or go paddle surfing.
Your whole family will LOVE playing on a Tofino beach. Go rent a wetsuit and dive in! Check out our Tofino Surf experience on our travel blog. Use the discount code: “Islanders 10% Off” and save some dollars with Tofino Surf Adventures!
2. Tofino is the capital of Canada for whale watching. On a recent Tofino whale watching trip we heard that about 20,000 whales of different species migrate through the local waters. Whale watching is a year-round attraction as many whales are either migrating through or making Clayoquot Sound their home for an extended stay. Deciding which tour operator to go with will make or break your trip experience. We had an awesome time with West Coast Aquatic Safaris!
Tofino Whale & Bear Watching With: West Coast Aquatic Safaris
3. Bear watching is a must on any trip to Canada. In Tofino the best way to go bear watching is by boat. We loved the boat ride in the inlets of the Clayoquot Sound almost as much as seeing the bears up close. The best time to go bear watching is in the morning as the bears venture out and have a snack on the beach as the tide recedes. We thoroughly enjoyed our Bear Watching experience with West Coast Aquatic Safaris! Read all about it.
4. Cozy up to a fire, curl up on the couch of one of the many quality beach resorts in Tofino. Look out the window for hours as you watch the waves roll in and crash over and over on the rocky shoreline right in front of you. It’s called “storm watching season” and it’s just one other activity that makes Tofino so popular during the winter months.
5. Kayaking in the waters of the Clayoquot Sound will be an unbelievable experience. Tour guide companies are standing by to take you out on a guided tour, give a lesson or just rent you a kayak. Whether you go out on the open ocean or paddle in the breathtaking inlets of Tofino, you are guaranteed to create a forever memory with your friends or family.